Need Help with your property?
Need Help with your property?

We would love to send you details of new properties and products that may be of interest to you
Please doI'd Rather Not

Legal matters in rented property

  • Tenancy Agreement – This is a contract between a landlord and a tenant/s, It allows a tenant/s to stay in a property as long as they pay there rent and follow the rules, terms and conditions set out in there tenancy agreement. Julie Twist use AST’s (Assured shorthold Tenancies) for most of our tenancy agreements, a tenant/s can sign for a minimum 6 or 12 month period, then we can either put the tenant on a periodic or renew for another 6 or 12 months. If a landlord wishes to end a tenancy he will have to give the tenant 2 months notice and a tenant 1 months notice. A landlord can make a rent increase at the end of there current term.
  • Inventories – Before any tenant/s move in to a property it is advised that a full property inventory is carried out detailing what is in the property such as furniture,fixtures and fittings and any other equipment that a landlord has placed in the property stating its condition. Photographic evidence  should also be taken, this will help if any damage is made to the property
  • Right to Rent: new legislation is being rolled out that means that landlords must check if their tenants have the right to live in the UK before a tenancy agreement can be created. When you rent out your property with us, we will take care of this requirement for you by asking tenants for their passport/visa details and running background checks before a lease is signed.
  • Section 21 & Section 8: Notices are used when a landlord wants to lodge an order for possession. They are so called because they refer to Sections 8 and 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

Do legal issues related to property leave you baffled?

Related information

Legal matters in rented property
Tenancy Deposit Scheme
Get a Lettings Valuation
Landlord Services
Property Lettings Finance Services
Rent Guarantee
Value My Property
Becoming a Property Investor
Section 8 and Section 21 Notices
Top Tips for Landlords